Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Woolly caterpillars

While taking a walk the other day, four woolly caterpillars crossed my path and I couldn't help but notice how big their brown stripe is this year. Now, that stripe is said to mean something about winter as I recall, but just what had escaped my memory. So I grabbed a quick photo and planned to look it up later.

When doing intense research online, I always start with my good friend Google. I can't recall the first time I met Google, but I know there was an instant connection and we've been pals ever since. Certainly Google has led me astray from time to time and occasionally doesn't have the answer I am looking for, but then again what friend is perfect all of the time. (Once and a while I've tried to befriend Bing, but that relationship is still too new to count on for something as important as woolly caterpillars and the upcoming winter.)

So Google connected me with the greatest information provider of the World Wide Web - yup, that's right, Wikipedia!*

Wikipedia says woolly caterpillars or woolly bears or woolly worms (however you may want to call them) are scientifically known as Arctiidae. (It doesn't provide annunciation so neither will I.)

It also tells me that the winter folklore I was referring to above is that these caterpillars have the ability to predict the weather, similar to that of the groundhog. (Now don't get me started on groundhogs and winter - Did you know they hibernate? I learned that the hard way! Anyways that's a story for another day.) As I recalled the severity of the upcoming winter may be indicated by the amount of black on the caterpillar. More brown than black means a fair winter, but more black than brown means a harsh winter.

So here's what I saw...

...looks like we're in for a harsh winter.

That's what people tell me they've read in the Farmer's Almanac, too. I better go out and buy an extra pair of gloves!


*As a journalist I feel it is my right to declare that while Wikipedia hits it right on from time to time, it should not be trusted as fully researched and factual information in all that it provides - much like the entire Internet system. Know your sources before you believe everything you hear or read!

No comments:

Post a Comment