Monday, October 11, 2010

Just the school days

This morning I overheard a conversation between a mother and her grade-school-aged daughter. The young girl was holding her stomach when her mother asked what was wrong. The girl responded by saying, "Every school day it hurts." She paused and added, "Just the school days."

At first I smiled at the innocence of the statement. How the girl truly thought she could convince her mother of this ailment that only occurred five of the seven days in a week. How she wanted to be sure to let her mother know it wasn't a problem on the weekends so that she would be free to have all the fun that a Saturday and Sunday could offer.

Then I had to smile at how true the statement really was. Doesn't it always seem that when we are presented with things we'd rather not be doing, our body lashes out in some way. For instance, nearly every Monday morning I wake up with a headache. Whether real or slightly imagined it is there, pounding away with all the thoughts of what I need to get done that week. Then as I cross off my to-do list it fades away and sure enough, I'm free of pain by the weekend.

I'm sure that people with more degrees than me can easily explain these predicaments as ailments from a build up of stress, but that seems too highly technical for someone with a Monday morning headache. So I'll just continue to ponder it as I sip from my mug of warm apple cider and slowly cross the items off my to-do list for the week.

Update blog – and feeling better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment