Thursday, October 21, 2010

Life lessons

In my previous post, I blogged about my trip back to Madison to speak at the AWA membership meeting. My talk revolved around the impact AWA, its members and alumni, have had on my life. From my career to my family, I owe most of it to the connections I made in that organization.

As I was sharing the different events that led to where I am today, I thought of the life lessons I learned along the way. I finished my speech with the following:

1. Follow your heart. It will always lead you in the right direction.

2. Get involved. Education is important, but it’s the connections you make in organizations that will help you put your education to good use.

3. Focus your passion. While it’s good to be involved in many organizations, keep your focus in one or two. I never would have received as much from AWA if I tried to be everything in every club.

4. Find ways to work with the alumni. Showing them what you can do can really pay off, but keep in mind they also see the things you don’t do.

5. Take classes outside your requirement. You're at a world-class university with choices galore, take advantage of it.

6. Never say never. I was never going to write for a living and basically ruled this career out. Now I absolutely love what I do.

7. Take chances. Even if you're scared to try something new, that doesn't mean it is a bad thing to do.

8. Keep in touch. Don’t let distance or different lifestyles keep you from the friends you meet in college.

9. Enjoy your time in Madison. A month ago, my college friends and I came to realize we stayed too close to ag campus and never experienced the unique and great things about Madison. Don't make that same mistake we did.

10. Have a little faith. When you aren't sure what your future has in store for you, don't worry too much. Just have some strong faith that everything will turn out okay. More often than not, it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment