Saturday, July 2, 2011

It's time for pies!

Today was the day for the pie competition at the Stoughton Fair.

I began competing in this a number of years ago when my aunt-in-law suggested I give it a try.

For the contest, pies are made by area residents and brought to the fair on Saturday morning. Three judges spend three to four hours sampling and rating the pies, which can range in numbers from 60 to 100+. This year there were 109 pies in the contest. After a champion is selected, the pies sit on display until the afternoon auction.

The pie auction takes place at 3:30 p.m. Each pie is sold with half the money going to support the fair and the other half to the pie exhibitor.

The money is nice, but the contest is truly about supporting the fair and, of course, bragging rights for the year to come.

This year was my fifth year in the contest. I'm proud to say that from past years I am a two-time recipient of Best of Show (Grand Champion) with a third pie receiving Best in Class. This year my pies received a Best in Class award and red ribbon.

In honor of this fair time tradition, I've started a new tab on my blog. To easily access my winning and other delicious pie recipes, just go to the "Perfect Pies" tab on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment