Thursday, May 19, 2011

Etiquette lessons

I heard on the radio last week that it was National Etiquette Week. I was reminded of it as I sat down to many formal meals these two weeks. Thanks to the late Lyle Wallace I've been prepared for these since I was a freshman in high school.

Mr. Wallace was my agriculture instructor/FFA advisor. After attending the Made for Excellence conference with him and several other FFA members, Mr. Wallace decided we were in need of some etiquette lessons. Once a week, for the next several weeks he posted an etiquette tip on the chalkboard.

Here are a few lessons I remember and always follow:
• Don't eat until everyone at the table has been served.
• Pass and receive items with your outside arm.
• Always keep the salt and pepper together.

I learned a lot of things from Mr. Wallace in the 17 months I was able to spend with him. He was a tremendous mentor that left the world too soon.

Luckily, 17+ years around a family farm dinner table filled in one of the many lessons I didn't have the opportunity to receive from Mr. Wallace. Countless conversations there enables me to now sit at dinner tables where sometimes the discussion can be less than appetizing. For instance, the one I had last week concerning reproductive tracts in dairy cows.

Cheers to Mr. Wallace and farm families everywhere for remember manners are important no matter what the conversation topic may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment