Friday, November 12, 2010

Windshield time

You know you never seem to miss something until it is gone. I learned that about windshield time this week. For those of you who don't know what windshield time is, it is the amount of time you spend driving a vehicle. I logged five hours of windshield time yesterday and it got me to thinking...

When I left my last job, which included a 30-minute commute, to start my new one where I don't even have to turn on my car most days, I thought this is great! I don't have to be wasting an hour a day, five hours a week or 260 hours a year sitting in my vehicle doing nothing besides getting from point A to point B. My realization yesterday, though, was that the time I spent was more than just sitting in the car. It was valuable time to process my day. To think about what I was going to do at work, what I was going to do when I got home, and what I was going to do about life in general.

Now that my commute is no more than a walk up or down the stairs, I don't get a lot of think time in. Almost instantaneously I'm thrown from my work life into my home life and vice versa. Don't get me wrong, I'll take spending an hour with my family over spending an hour in the car most days, however I think I've been missing time to think - at least that's what I thought of yesterday during my five-hour drive.

During the drive, I recalled all that I accomplished in my regular commute, some of which included planning my wedding and determining the right steps to take upon winning the lottery - a game plan every Powerball player needs because you never know when the lucky moment will strike.

In my drive yesterday I accomplished some big things. I figured out what to get my dad for his birthday, which was very important because his birthday happened to be yesterday. I was then even able to acquire said gift during my travels. I also figured out the cream pie I will take to my family Thanksgiving party. Who knows this could be another Stoughton Fair champion in the works. Lastly I figured out a way to reduce the size of the floor plan in my future home. Not that I'm moving or building anytime soon, it's always a good plan to have in your back pocket.

Hopefully with it being meeting season and all, I'll be able to log a little more windshield time and get the rest of life's troubles sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment